RARA-AVIS: Re: Gerald Kersh

From: Max Gilbert ( jmaxgilbert@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2005

The DVD version of NIGHT & THE CITY comes out this month from Criterion, who always do an excellent transfer with lots of special features--they're also releasing Dassin's last American film THIEVES' HIGHWAY, another film noir which is supposedly quite good. They've been on something of hard boiled/noirish roll as of late. Last month they issued TOUCHEZ PAS AU GRISBI by Jacques Becker, one of my favorite French crime flicks, and Seijun Suzuki's YOUTH OF THE BEAST
(a Yazuka classic from the Japanese Sam Fuller).

Max

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Steve Novak <Cinefrog@c...> wrote:
> I¹m extremely glad to learn all this info abot Kersh and to learn
also that
> a bio is forthcoming by Paul Duncan. Also very interested by the
info
> concerning boxing legend Archie Moore that I remember seeing on
French TV as
> a youngster and who had such a dramatic face...the quintesential
fighter and
> in fact when I lived in Louisiana in 69 I met in New Orleans
several old
> fighters for whom he remained a hero...
> The only book of Kersh I ever read was Night & The City, and I had
come to
> the book through the magnificent J. Dassin film (the best and
meanest film
> noir to my eyes) with brilliant performances of Richard Widmark,
Francis L.
> Sullivan and Stanislaus Zbyszko as Gregorius the Great, and the
story of the
> Polish wrestler/intellectual is worth reading since it probably
inspired a
> lot of the Kersh
> story...( http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=4243&p=1).
Stanislaus
> was inducted in the Wrestler¹s Hall of Fame in 2003 and I learned
about that
> in a French film magazine!!...
> I read in France as a younster the S鲩e Noire version called ³Les
Forbans
> de la Nuit² (SN480), translated by S. Henry and R. Amblard, which
I still
> have, and about 20 years ago bought a copy of the Dell Book (#374)
at a

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM