RARA-AVIS: RE: New Hammett collection !

From: Vince Emery ( vince@emery.com)
Date: 19 Jan 2005

Bill Denton wrote:

> Hey, this is great! Some of those stories only appeared in books in those
Ellery Queen anthologies from around 1950, as far as I know. When I get the book I'll update The Lazy Gink's Guide to a Complete Hammett Collection:
> http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/biblio/lazy-gink.html
> Mr. Emery is on the list, so perhaps he can give us the lowdown?

You are a tough man to turn down, Mr. Denton, so here goes:

Lost Stories includes only stories NOT included in the four currently available Hammett anthologies (The Big Knockover, The Continental Op, Nightmare Town, and the authoritative Crime Stories and Other Writings).

Some stories have never been printed in a book before. All stories have been restored, replacing often-wholesale cuttings with the original text for the first time. Some restored stories are 10% longer than the cut versions. For one story, "This Little Pig," I was surprised to find that Hammett's original typescript includes 2 endings. Lost Stories provides both.

I wrote comments explaining how Hammett's life shaped each story and how the story fit in his life.

To round out this celebration of Hammett, Joe Gores wrote an introduction describing Hammett's influence on fiction, movies, television, and Gores' own life.

Publication date for the trade hardcover edition of Lost Stories will be April 13. 352 pages, $24.95, ISBN 0-9725898-1-3.

A numbered, slipcased edition of 195 copies with leather spines will be published in March. Each copy will be signed by Joe Gores and myself. Price will be $149.

Expect more news in a few weeks. Thanks for asking, Bill.

Vince Emery

Vince Emery Productions Publisher: LOST STORIES by Dashiell Hammett 21 long-lost stories from the creator of Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon, The Thin Man

www.emerybooks.com Box 460279, San Francisco, CA 94146 USA vince@emery.com Phone 1.415.337.6000

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM