Re: RARA-AVIS: Black Money

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 16 Jan 2005

First let me say that Black Money is the first Macdonald novel I've read and though I grew a little weary of Archer just interviewing and reinterviewing the principals I did think the plot was good. I also loved the way Macdonald manipulates the perspective of Archer and the reader on each of the characters as more information is revealed about them. It is masterful in that aspect.

Someone mentioned that by the time he started feeling sympathy for Martel, he was murdered, which is exactly the way I felt. He became a three-dimensional character only after his death.

Macdonald also stays away from all the cliché³ of the genre, which by 1965, must have really been getting old. He doesn't get knocked unconscious even once or get in a fight. If I remember correctly he only gets poked once.

I'll definitely be reading more. Also I wanted to add that I really like reading a single novel as opposed to doing an author in these discussions. With some authors I don't know where to begin if I've not read anything of theirs.

Jeff

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM