RARA-AVIS: Jonny Zero

From: Tim Wohlforth ( tim@timwohlforth.com)
Date: 16 Jan 2005

I was wondering if any of you folks have checked out the new hard-boiled PI series on Fox "Jonny Zero." It clearly owes a lot to Spillane. But it is also very contemporary aimed at a young male audience, MTV influenced. In fact the music is one of its strengths. Reminds me of the opening credits particularly for "The Wire." It can be considered post-Sopranos/The Wire TV. But it lacks their verisimilitude. Most of the action takes place in a glitzy club scene rather than the gritty projects of "The Wire." It's one of those adrenaline rush shows where most of the action is over the top. Jonny spends half the show bouncing off the hoods of cars. Doesn't seem to slow him down. Is it good? You tell me. At times in IMO is it damn good. Yet it lacks the emotional depth of the best of the network crime shows (e.g. Law & Order, Trace, Cold Case.)

But the guy is a PI -- of sorts.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM