RARA-AVIS: Natsuo Kirino and Nippon Noir

From: E.Borgers ( wbac12034@tiscali.be)
Date: 13 Jan 2005

Michael Robison :

>In the last couple years I've bought a lot more books
>than I've read, so here recently I've been pretty much
>in a no-book buying mode. But I found a display with
>the novel OUT, by Natsuo Kirino. I had never heard of
>it or her, but after reading the blurbs I bought it.
>I'm glad I did. It's good. I'm about a hundred pages
>into it. Wicked and dark.
>miker

Miker,

It's her. She's a female writer and she already won some of the prestigious Japanese prize for mystery lit. I never read anything really hard-boiled by this author, so I will be grateful if you could give me the references (publisher, year of publishing and if possible the Japanese title) of your copy.

Here is what Noami Haida said about Kirino in an article she wrote for HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES, about Japanese HB/noir lit. Quote:
"With the 1990s, female writers also began to write hard-boiled fiction. Natsuo Kirino won the Edogawa Rampo award with her first typical hard-boiled novel, Hoho Ni Kakaru Ame (Rain Dropping on the Cheeks, 1993), in which she created a realistic Japanese female private eye named Milo Murano after a James Crumley's protagonist, 'Milo' Milodragovitch. She has also recently published some excellent suspense novels."

If you are interested by more info about Japanese HB/noir you will find the complete article on the H-B M Web site, under the title: Nippon Noir at: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384
(see page 3 for Kirino)

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM