Re: RARA-AVIS: What does Nolan say about Black Money?

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 09 Jan 2005

I had high hopes for that three-hour program, but couldn't take more than 45 minutes of it. In between watching Robert McNeil drive or take the train about half a dozen times, I learned that in Maine, people say "Ayuh" to mean yes, that people from Boston and surroundings say "cah" for car, and Pittsburghers say "Yuns" as the plural of you. Actually, already knew the first two things. I'd been hoping to learn a lot more. What a wasted opportunity for a fascinating documentary. Do things pick up later in the show? If so, I'll give it another go.

But it is generally acknowledged, and it was mentioned in the program, that local dialects are fading out all over the U.S. and Canada. There are still broad regional patterns, but local accents and ways of speaking, while not yet gone, are being levelled by education and the mass media.

Karin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM