RARA-AVIS: ReEspionage, cold war, SF and more...(was:OT: The Manchurian Candidate)

From: E.Borgers ( wbac12034@tiscali.be)
Date: 08 Jan 2005

Jeff Vorzimmer :

>.... I was really impressed with Condon's writing style and his satire
>of the Cold War era. It ranks right at the top of the list of quintessential
>Cold War literature, along with books such as The Ugly American, The Quiet
>American and Fail Safe.
>
>Anyone else have any suggestions of similar books from the time period,
>hardboiled crime fiction or espionage?

You certainly already know the first espionage books from the British writer John Le Carr鬠totally immersed in the cold war. There was also another British author with his espionage series: Len Deighton (Ipcess File, Funeral in Berlin...etc). No atomic disaster, but cold war.

Then in the SF vein, as initiated by Miker, why not René ‚arjavel's
"Ashes, Ashes" (translated from his French novel "Ravage" 1943). No atomic disaster, but a disaster bigger than war itself and its unforeseen consequences. Bleak and somewhat prophetic. At the time the conclusion of the novel was shocking the average reader by its anti-conformism; readers of the 21st century will maybe not resent it so highly, but this novel remains a very good book, well written. I personally put it in my "noir crossovers".

Hope this will help.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM