Re: RARA-AVIS: Black Money

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 06 Jan 2005

Well, Mike, you have a point about the contempt. I was thinking of the wrong client, the one in The Chill. I was confused because in both books, Archer spends time trying to persuade prospective customers that they don't really need him. And in both cases, he doesn't seem to have much respect for either of them initially. (And I didn't refer to the books when composing my post.)

In The Chill, young newlywed Alex Kincaid wants Archer to look for his wife, Dolly, who has run off the day after their wedding. Kincaid refuses to believe that she doesn't love him. As I said, he eventually starts to admire the young man's devotion to his wife.

In Black Money, young Peter Jamieson has lost his girlfriend Ginny Fablon to a shady character named Francis Martel, who claims to be a Frenchman. He wants Archer to dig up the facts on Martel in the hopes of convincing Ginny to at least leave Martel, if not to go back to him (Peter).

I think that Archer's harsh comments about Peter Jamieson are part of his no-nonsense approach to most things. Archer is exasperated by the way Peter is wallowing in his grief, eating his sorrow instead of drowning it (can't find the quote). He advises him to skip dessert and go running on the beach (which Peter does, at least once). Later Archer tells him that he has a problem (bulimia) and should seek help for it. "You should take it up with a doctor. It's a disease. ... You have a hungry heart. You need something to feed it with besides food."

Here are a couple of nice similes, referring to the turkey Peter has been stuffing into his mouth "the way you pack meat into a grinder": "the half-demolished bird ... lay in front of him like the carcass of his hopes."

Karin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM