Re: RARA-AVIS: Chase films

From: Craig Larson ( CLarson@nhcc.edu)
Date: 05 Jan 2005

And there was a movie from 1995 called Rough Magic, with Bridget Fonda and Russell Crowe, that's based on a Chase novel, Miss Shumway Waves a Wand.

Craig Larson Plymouth, MN

>>> david_duncan@att.net 1/3/2005 11:19:30 AM >>>

This may fall into the category of B-Grade thrillers that Juri was referring to, but I believe the 1998 movie "Palmetto" was based on Chase's novel,
"Just Another Sucker."

I enjoyed Palmetto -- a sunshine neo-noir starring Woody Harrelson that is more or less in the vein of Red Rock West (1992) and Wild Things
(1998). It's a bit overheated and somewhat predictable, despite a number of final-reel plot twists. But the typical noir farrago of moral corruption, sexual manipulation, betrayal, and double crossings it serves up still works for me. It certainly doesn't hurt that female stars Elizabeth Shue, Gina Gershon and Chloe Sevigny are all quite easy on the eyes.
(Interestingly, Shue and Gershon play against their usual types with Gershon as the dutiful wife and Shue as the alluring femme fatale.)

On the other hand, I didn't like "Palmetto" so much that I sought out
"Just Another Sucker" at the library or used book store. Does anyone recommend it?

David Duncan
(New to Rara Avis)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM