RARA-AVIS: Black Money

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Jan 2005

Karin Montin wrote:

I can't say that I noticed the contempt miker speaks of.

************** I guess it's how you read it. Here are a few comments Archer made about Jamieson:

"He looked like money about three generations removed from source."

"...his face was puffy and apologetic."

"...he wore a layer of fat like easily penetratable armor."

"He let me feel his large amorphous hand."

"...he got up quickly, almost knocking over his double malted."

These quotes came from the first four paragraphs of the novel. So I gather that Peter is spoiled, spending money he did not make. He's also a fat, clumsy wimp. It continues in this vein ad nauseum. Shifting to the next character, the bank manager McMinn, he notes:

"McMinn seemed to take a dim but lofty pleasure in mentioning this, as if money conferred spiritual grace..."

His first encounter with Harry Hendricks:

"An air of desperate failure hung about him like a personal odor."

Mrs. Fablon:

"She smiled at her own elaborate wit."

He won't even be polite and take a drink with Jamieson's alcoholic father, remarking that it was too early in the day for him to drink.

The lifeguard at the club:

"He reminded me of the dumb blondes who had cluttered up the California landscape when I was a kid."

This kind of snobbery and righteous indignation runs like a river of sewage through the book.

Mario has wisely noted that an author is in dangerous waters imitating Chandler. I see the bad in Chandler multiplied tenfold in Macdonald, and I see none of what was good about Chandler in Macdonald.

Speaking of Mario, he mentioned the black money theme.
 What does that phrase mean? I'm not acquainted with it.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM