RARA-AVIS: Palmetto

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 04 Jan 2005

John Lau and others:

"Palmetto seemed to me to be a noir made by a bunch of people who knew nothing about noir"

I haven't seen the film, but it was directed by a German director, Volker Schlö®¤¯rff. He was a member of the German new wave. The most famous of all the German newwavists was Rainer Werner Fassbinder, who knew his noir (as is evident in many of his quirky films). I believe that Schlö®¤¯rff, a young man in the 1960's, also knew the American crime and mystery films. But in recent years he has directed nothing worth noticing.

Juri