RARA-AVIS: Chase films

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 03 Jan 2005

There are at least three interesting James Hadley Chase films which you should try to check out:

Joseph Losey's "Eva" (1962), based on Chase's novel of the same name, but changed radically.

"The Catamount Killing/Pittsville - Ein Safe voll Blut" (1974), directed by the Polish Krzyzstof Zanussi (hope I got the first name right), a brooding and slow account of a heist going not very well. It's been years since I saw this and I can't remember much of it, except that the atmosphere was thick and the film very nihilistic.

"La Chair de l'orchid饯Flesh and the Orchid" (1975), directed by Patrice Ch鲥au and scripted by Jean-Claude Carriere, a strange and visually interesting ganster story.

It seems from IMDB that Chase is still being directed - some films have been made in Russia! There are also some B-grade thrillers made in the US.

Juri