RARA-AVIS: No Orchids

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 01 Jan 2005

I read James Hadley Chase's first novel year and a half ago and didn't think it very crudely written, as Etienne (and many others before him) have pointed out. I didn't think the book was very good either, rather mediocre at best, but still interesting in many points. It's bleak and nihilistic and hence acquires a steady place in noir history. As for genre literature, it's had more affect on other writers than Faulkner's "Sanctuary" from which it borrows heavily.

I don't know.. Chase's kind of writers are hard to pin down. They don't write good books, but still they have influence. Julian Symons says that Chase's stature in France may be due to translations.

But as for the Finnish translation... Better left unsaid. The translator tried to the book make funnier and more "hardboiled", while the dialogue is pretty snappy and simple. It was laughably bad.

Juri