RARA-AVIS: No Orchids

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 29 Dec 2004

I happened to spot a movie called The Grissom Gang in Borders the other day. The cover got me to pick it up and find it was directed by Robert Aldrich, who directed Kiss Me Deadly. I'd never heard of this 1971 film
(not too surprising, although a fan, I'm hardly a film noir scholar), so I looked it up. Turns out it's an adaptaton of James Hadley Chase's infamous No Orchids ofr Miss Blandish. Has anyone seen this? Is it any good?

I read No Orchids a long, long time ago, on the sorta recommendation of my favorite professor, CC Mish, who taught a hardboiled literature course at the University of Maryland (the same class that inspired Pelecanos). Although Mish didn't assign the book, he called it, not entirely negatively (Mish loved his trash as much as his opera), a rip-off of Faulkner's Sanctuary. So I read them both. I only saw surface similarities. Frankly, I don't remember much about either now.

Mark

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM