Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Holiday watching: Collateral

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 29 Dec 2004

This is entirely incidental, but here's something that really bothered me in the movie. The jazz club owner makes a very big deal about how much he idolizes Miles Davis, tells a story about the one time he met
(even played with?) his idol. So I found incredibly arrogant of the filmmakers (who would have made that decision, Mann? Wasn't he both director and producer?) to use one of Miles's own live recordings to sub for the club band's playing. Besides implying that the disciple had become as good as the master, it was something very different for Miles to play it in the '60s and for someone else to reprise it in the '00s. Even if they were going to use a song associated with Miles, couldn't they have had someone else playing it?

As I said, a relatively minor thing, certainly made no difference in the plot, but it really, really bugged me.

Mark

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM