Re: RARA-AVIS: Samurai hardboiled

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Dec 2004

--- DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net wrote:

 However, I wasn't so much looking for the samurai
> influences in American
> film, but in print fiction, either translations of
> the source material
> or its adoption in western hardboiled. For
> instance, I know I have read
> books where the heroes and/or anti-heroes are
> explicitly placed without
> the samurai/bushido code/tradition, but I can't
> remember which. Does
> Crais refer to this in regard to Joe Pike in the
> Elvis Cole books? I
> seem to remember a literary assassin placing himself
> in this line, like
> the character in the movie Ghost Dog (which owes a
> hell of a lot to
> samurai and yakuza films, including the shot through
> a drain pipe hit
> taken from the aforementioned Branded to Kill).
>
> Mark

Vachss is obviously influenced by something along these lines: consider the mute sidekick of Burke's or the protagonist of SHELLA.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM