RARA-AVIS: Re: pronzini's cold november day: JR and Chuck G.

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Dec 2004

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck G." <chgenoe2@p...> wrote:

> > This is a great story. But I'm a little curious about the somewhat
> > ambiguous ending. I'm not especially dense but I'm not sure if I
> > understood the ending. Anyone care to enlighten me. The story is
> > anthologized in Black Lizard Anthology 1987--a great collection.
>
> Hi JR,
> I just found this anthology yesterday a local used book store, and
> agree, the ending of the Pronzini story is ambiguous. The only
thing
> I got out of it was that it was a twist ending. He leads you to
> believe the the situation and characters are one thing, then tells
> you that they're something else. It isn't one of Pronzini's best,
> IMO.

And, oddly enough, I just picked up a copy of the first BLACK LIZARD
(definitely seek out the SECOND BL ANTHO!) at a library sale yesterday to give to someone, something like the fourth or so to pass through my hands, and happened to reread the lead-off story...not to
***SPOIL*** anything, but Chuck's correct...Pronzini has strongly implied that the accountant being pursued by the protag and his senior partner is about to be executed by thugs, when instead he's about to be arrested by feds...the senior partner being a rather sadistic, and homesick, brother of their quarry. Interestingly to me, Pronzini's other 1978 EQMM story with "fog" in the title [no doubt also in the San Francisco and obfuscation senses], "Strangers in the Fog," strikes me as not only one of his best but also still one of the best suspense stories I've read... and I like this one better than Chuck does, if not as much as "Strangers..." (which, given my sieve-like memory, probably was actually published in EQMM in '76 or somesuch).

TM

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM