RARA-AVIS: Re: What Makes Sammy Run?

From: robhenryson ( msharp@binghamton.edu)
Date: 22 Dec 2004

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison <miker_zspider@y...> wrote:
> I was in the Dollar store a few days ago and saw a
> title that I've seen mentioned here and only one other
> place, WHAT MAKES SAMMY RUN? I opened it up and if I
> recall correctly, it was copyrighted in 1950. What's
> the story on this book? Is it any good? I can't
> remember the author's name, but I wasn't familiar with
> him either. This book was also referred to in one of
> the essays in TOUGH GUY WRITERS OF THE THIRTIES.

Weird, my wife's reading What Makes Sammy Run as we speak, or as I type (literally). I read it this past summer. Budd Schulberg is the author's name, and I really liked the novel -- it's got an HB vibe, though there's no crime or mystery. The narrator has an 40s- newspaperman way of talking. It's a legendary "hollywood" novel, though strangely I don't think it's ever been turned into a movie (though I recall that someone famous has the rights ... information ... getting hazy).

Michael Sharp

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM