RARA-AVIS: Budd Schulberg

From: Paul Farrell ( pm_farrell@hotmail.com)
Date: 22 Dec 2004

Marc Seals wrote:

>Great buy! WHAT MAKES SAMMY RUN? is by Budd Schulberg. It was first
>published in 1941. It is considered one of the great "Hollywood novels."

Budd Schulberg wrote another very good novel called THE DISENCHANTED (1950).
  It's not really a noir story, though it does cover some noir-ish issues. It's a fictionalised version of Schulberg's experience of working on a screenplay with F. Scott Fitzgerald in the 1930s. I also found the book to be a good companion piece to Fitzgerald's Hollywood fiction from the 1930s, his unfinished novel THE LAST TYCOON (a great book; if you like THE GREAT GATSBY and haven't read it, I recommend it), and the ironic Pat Hobby short stories.

Paul

_________________________________________________________________ Surf the net and talk on the phone with Xtra JetStream @ http://xtra.co.nz/jetstream

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM