Re: RARA-AVIS: What Makes Sammy Run?

From: Marc Seals ( mseals@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: 21 Dec 2004

Great buy! WHAT MAKES SAMMY RUN? is by Budd Schulberg. It was first published in 1941. It is considered one of the great "Hollywood novels." Schulberg, born in 1913, is still alive, I believe! He is perhaps better known for writing the screenplay for ON THE WATERFRONT.

WHAT MAKES SAMMY RUN? is very much about the rise to power of a Hollywood mogul named Sammy Glick. Sammy is NOT a very likeable sort. The basic theme, if I recall correctly, is the corrupting influence of power in general and of power in Hollywood in particular. I'd never thought about it as hard boiled or noir.... Hmmm. I suppose one might argue that it has elements of these; many of the characters are certainly screwed. Regardless, I think it a great read. Schulberg is underrated, IMHO.

~Marc