Re: RARA-AVIS: Junky

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Dec 2004

Mark wrote:

Junky owes a hell of a lot to Jack Black's You Can't Win, an autobiographical book about the underworld of hobos and criminals written just before the turn of the 20th century. Burroughs read it as an adolescent and it opened up a whole new world to him. He draws from it in other books, too, but Junky is clearly modeled after it.

************** Thanks for the comments, Mark. I've been meaning to go back and read three or four of the hobo books from around the beginning of the 20th century. I bought a collected works of Jack London that has his hobo book in it but haven't gotten around to reading it. And if memory serves me correctly, there was another colorful fellow who gained recognition for his hobo books. I'm thinking Jim Tully was his name. Jack Black had slipped my mind. I think I'll see if I can find that for sale somewhere online.

And thanks for the warning on NAKED LUNCH. I think I'll steer clear of it. It would probably just confuse me and leave me as clueless as I started.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM