RE: RARA-AVIS: Higgins, Pelecanos, Price, The Wire... please recommend some writers

From: Chris M ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 17 Dec 2004

Rob said:
>I'm looking for something a bit like George V. Higgins's first books:
>something strongly dialogue-based, and something that is focused around
>the criminals (and, maybe, the police).

The books I first thought of are John William's Cardiff Dead and Elmore Leonard's Detroit novels from the 70s (Swag and Unknown Man No.89 are my favorites but all from that era are terrific). King Suckerman catches the same vibe I think.

We don't seem to discuss Joseph Wambaugh too much around here, but I think his police procedurals share many of the best qualities of Richard Price's work. My favorites are The Glitter Dome and The Secrets of Harry Bright. Absolute black comedy throughout.

I don't remember his books as being as heavy on dialogue as you may be looking for, but Newton Thornburg is a master as well.

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM