RARA-AVIS: Re: Scorsese's Cape Fear

From: Vince Keenan ( vpkeenan@hotmail.com)
Date: 16 Dec 2004

Miker wrote:

>Overheated and overwrought? A claim that could easily be leveled at most
>of Shakespeare's works. Homer's Iliad, too, for that matter. I'm less
>than convinced that a style outside the narrow confines of contemporary
>realism constitutes a weakness.

As am I.

But the style has to mesh with the subject matter, which is why, for me, the remake of CAPE FEAR collapses under its own weight. The story simply can't sustain Scorsese's overblown Southern Gothic approach -- particularly when great pains have been taken to update the characters' psychology. It's a movie at odds with itself, which makes for an intriguing first hour and then one colossal headache.

Vince Keenan

www.vincekeenan.com Pop culture, high and low, past and present. One day at a time.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM