Re: RARA-AVIS: January: Ross Macdonald, BLACK MONEY

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 15 Dec 2004

Bill Denton wrote:

> I'm slow following up on this, but everyone has lots of time to find a
> copy of the Ross Macdonald book for January: BLACK MONEY! Yes, this 1966
> book, first published by Knopf, edged out THE CHILL, THE FAR SIDE OF THE
> DOLLAR, and THE ZEBRA-STRIPED HEARSE in your voting. So if you want to
> talk about Macdonald, or haven't read him in a while but want to give him
> another go, or have never got around to trying him, this is your chance.
> Give it a read and come the new year we can usher in 2005 with a look at
> Macdonald and a mid-period Lew Archer novel.

This is welcome news. I finished BLACK MONEY just yesterday, on MacDonald's birthday.

Looking forward to discussing it with everyone. For my money (no pun intended) it stands up to MacDonald's best (including THE CHILL, THE ZEBRA-STRIPED HEARSE, THE WYCHERLY WOMAN, THE GOODBYE LOOK, and THE GALTON CASE). A very satisfying read.

All the Best-

Brian Thornton

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM