Re: RARA-AVIS: The Cain Line

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 08 Dec 2004

From: "Juri Nummelin" < juri.nummelin@postikaista.net>
<<I've said this here in an earlier occasion and I now repeat it: the line coming from James M. Cain is more interesting than the line coming from Hammett and Chandler. We wouldn't have Jim Thompson, we wouldn't have Day Keene's and Gil Brewer's best works etc. The other line has lots of crappy imitators, full of empty PI bubble and overdose of similes and supposedly funny lines. >>

Juri, I see Hammett and Chandler as quite separate 'lines'. Stark's Parker, for instance, owes a lot to Hammett but nothing at all to Chandler. I also think Burnett spawned a fourth line.

Al

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM