RARA-AVIS: Re: The Cain Line

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 07 Dec 2004

Hi Juri,

I love Double Indemnity. The imagery of Phyllis on that boat at the end is absolutely chilling. That being said, I don't think Jim Thompson was necessarily influenced by Cain. Certainly not in his writing style. And Thompson's first two novels, Now and on Earth + Heed the Thunder seemed heavily influenced by Faulkner. Cain's style of noir was also quite different than Thompson's. With Cain, you had people crossing the line (committing murder, adultery, etc.) that dooms them. with Thompson you have people who are just broken and have no chance. Actually, Rex Stout's How Like a God (which was published before Postman) is more inline with Thompson than anything Cain wrote.

-Dave Z.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Juri Nummelin
<juri.nummelin@p...> wrote:
the line coming from James M. Cain is more interesting than the line coming from Hammett and Chandler. We wouldn't have Jim Thompson, we wouldn't have Day Keene's and Gil Brewer's best works etc. The other line has lots of crappy imitators, full of empty PI bubble and overdose of similes and supposedly funny lines.

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM