Re: RARA-AVIS: Macdonald, Hammet, Chandler, Compassion, et al

From: robhenryson ( msharp@binghamton.edu)
Date: 04 Dec 2004

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Thornton" <tieresias@w...> wrote:

> I'd like to chime in and add my vote for BLACK MONEY, for three reasons.
> First, I've read all of the others you mention above. I agree that (in my
> opinion) THE CHILL is the best, or at least my favorite. Second, I've got a
> copy of BLACK MONEY, so no need to hunt for one. Third, this conversation
> nudged me to get it off the bookshelf and start it. I'm on page 22 and it's
> terrific, so I'm thinking I won't be putting it down any time soon. So for
> me, that's a perfect storm of reasons to vote for it!
>
> All the Best-
>
> Brian Thornton

Despite my stated aversion to RM, I'm looking forward to reading him as part of a community of (ridiculously knowledgable and opinionated) readers. I vote for whatever y'all think is his best, though I've *read* THE CHILL and pray to god it's not *really* his best. Black Money sounds great. But I'd roll the dice on Zebra or Galton or Far Side or Ivory too. My personal top choice would be THE WAY SOME PEOPLE DIE, but only because my Pocket Books version has an incredibly hot cover that makes me want to know what's inside.

Nothing post 1970, please. I just have a bad feeling.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM