RARA-AVIS: Pancake for breakfast

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Dec 2004

Saturday morning, not even a hint of light yet. Here's a quote from one story:

"We marched through town to the cemetery in the rain; then I watched the men move sure and stiff with each command, and the timing between volleys was on the nose; the echoes rang four times above the clatter of their bolt weapons. The rain smelled from the tang of their fire, the wet wool of our uniforms. There was a pause and the band director coughed. I stepped up to play, a little off tempo, and another kid across the hills answered my taps."

And from the story after it:

"Alena sat in the chair by the sink, watching Harvey. His pint half gone, he leaned against the window casement. Not the man she knew in the hills, he looked skinny and meaner to her, and now she knew he was a murderer, that the gun he always carried had worked. She was not a part of him now; it was over so easily she wondered if they had ever loved."

miker

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM