Re: RARA-AVIS: Spillane's influence

From: mherridge@HTCOMP.NET
Date: 03 Dec 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Moore" < moorich2@aol.com>

> I think Spillane's most immediate impact was indeed on the PBO
> writers of the 1950s. It was in those Signet paperback editions that
> Spillane sold like wildfire. Between them Spillane and Erskine
> Caldwell spawned scores of PBO imitators. While I will make the
> caveat that Frank Kane's first Johnny Liddell novel came out in 1947
> the same debut year as Mike Hammer, the general statement stands
> true. Even regarding Liddell, he was likely much changed and longer-
> lived because of the Hammer novels. Harry Whittington would never
> have earned the title of the King of the PBOs if Spillane had not
> created the market.
>

> Richard Moore

Johnny Liddell short stories came out even earlier: "Suicide" by Frank Kane appeared in the January 1945 issue of Crack Detective. It is available for downloading on the pulpgen.com website.

Monte Herridge

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM