RARA-AVIS: Re: Spillane

From: Tapani Bagge ( tapani.bagge@aina.fi)
Date: 03 Dec 2004

Bill Crider: Nobody ever seems to mention what might be my favorite Spillane novel, THE
> LONG WAIT.  Of course it's not a Mike Hammer book.  Maybe that's why.

That's my favorite, too. Probably for the same reason. Plus I seem to remember this one was more noir than the Hammer books.

One funny thing: in the 1950's, when Spillane was first translated in Finnish, at least in one book the Reds became the Greens, because the publisher didn't want to irritate the local Left or the Big Bear in the neighbor. When I read these books in the late 1970's, it seemed kinda odd because then we already had the Greens, the environmentalists.

Tapani B.