RARA-AVIS: Spillane's influence

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@postikaista.net)
Date: 03 Dec 2004

Spillane's influence is clearly seen in Frank Miller's Sin City and Hardboiled and, I think, also in his Batman and Elektra, even though they get their inspiration largely from some other sources.

Spillane had some imitators already in the fifties and he even helped publish some (Charlie Wells, wasn't it?). Someone else here knows more about this than I do.

The Mack Bolan type of books certainly carry Spillane's influence, all through to the crappy plots. (I'm not very fond of Spillane and find him to be the most boring of hardboiled classics, with Carroll John Daly excepted.) But Mack Bolans have been very influential and they are still being written as a housename and even as we speak bthey reed new writers into many different genres. I would call that influence.

Juri