RARA-AVIS: Re: Macdonald, Gatsby, etc.

From: robhenryson ( msharp@binghamton.edu)
Date: 02 Dec 2004

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "James R. Winter" <winter_writes@e...> wrote:

> --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Coggins" <coggins@i...>
> wrote:
>
> <<<Who did Macdonald influence--or who writes in his tradition?>>>
>
> George Pelecanos. He writes the most despicable characters, and yet
> you understand exactly why they are the way they are.
>
> But there's a heavy dose of Chandler in there, too. Strange and
> Quinn are not men who are themselves mean.
>
> Jim Winter

This is a very good point about Pelecanos -- his work feels like its influences are hybrid: his protagonists are generally humane and sympathetic (in a way Archer usually is and Marlowe sometimes isn't), but he makes his points about human beings and criminal society through action and dialogue (Chandleresque) while Archer often makes them through Monologue. Not that Marlowe doesn't have a monologue / sermon / rant or two here and there. I enjoy GP's work quite a bit (I read Right as Rain in one sitting at the bookstore, but didn't buy it; sorry George, I'll buy the next one).

mds

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM