RARA-AVIS: Re: VENGEANCE IS MINE

From: James R. Winter ( winter_writes@earthlink.net)
Date: 02 Dec 2004

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck G." <chgenoe2@p...> wrote:

> I would even say that it wasn't just fear that made people angry,
> but the repression they felt at having to adhere to this button
down
> happy family image. They had to smile like Ozzy and Harriet, but
> what they really wanted to do was blow people away like Mike
Hammer.
> I think Hammer provided a needed pressure release at the time. Of
> course now people will shoot you if you don't signal when you
change
> lanes.

There you go. And I really need to point out that this wasn't an exclusively angry time. My parents were rather fond of the fifties, thought it was a quieter, simpler time. There's anger in all time periods like every other emotion, but Spillane really struck a nerve in the fifties in a way that most likely wouldn't work in other time periods.

And given the even divide in America, a Hammeresque character would not do as well because one half of the country would embrace him (or her) like a gun-toting teddy bear while the other half would scream bloody murder over such a barbarian.

Jim Winter