RE: RARA-AVIS: Dewey; Macdonald; Gatsby

From: Anders Engwall (KI/EAB) ( anders.engwall@ericsson.com)
Date: 02 Dec 2004

Juri Nummelin:

> It would be interesting to read some of the less-known PI
> writers of the fourties and fifties (Floyd Mahannah, for
> example) and track down the first showings of sympathy.

I can't recall any obvious MacDonald influences in the one Mahannah novel I read, THE GOLDEN GOOSE, but one thing has certainly stuck. The P.I. (whose name I have forgotten) falls in love with his client - and she becomes pregnant. I'm not sure if it's an example of those MacDonaldesque qualities we're discussing, but it's such an unusual thing for an early fifties P.I. novel that I thought it's worth mentioning anyway. Great book, also.

And speaking of MacDonald influences, what about Howard Browne's THE TASTE OF ASHES? His earlier books in the series were Chandler influenced to the point of pastiche, but this struck me somehow as more like MacDonald. And as early as 1956, too.

Anders