Re: RARA-AVIS: Shotgun Alley

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 01 Dec 2004

Bill C wrote:

"Mark, Klavan's TRUE CRIME was pretty much a Keith Peterson book with the same old crusty reporter under another name."

Was it the basis of the Clint Eastwood movie of that title? I never saw that movie, was it any good? (By the way, I just found out Elmore Leonard wrote Eastwood's Joe Kidd.)

Speaking of movies involving Andrew Klavan, I highly recommend Shock to the System, with a great performance by Michael Caine. I thought of it when I much later read Westlake's The Ax.

On the other hand, I remembered why I didn't move on to the books Andrew Klavan wrote under his own name. It was due to my intense disappointment over the ending of his (last?) Keith Peterson novel, The Scarred Man, not part of the series I liked so much. It was an okay thriller based on a somewhat cliched shaggy dog story. It was all leading towards a pretty creepy revelation that a serious social taboo had been (unknowingly) broken. We do get that revelation (though it's far from a surprise when it finally comes), but then it's conveniently revealed as wrong, replacing a queasy ending, with a tacked on happy one. As Johnny Rotten put it, Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

Mark