Re: RARA-AVIS: VENGEANCE IS MINE

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 01 Dec 2004

> VENGEANCE IS MINE revisists the same basic plot as I, THE JURY, but with
some twists. It
> starts out with Hammer waking up from a hangover to find the police
standing over him and a war > buddy dead from an apparent suicide. Since the deceased used Hammer's gun while Hammer
> was passed out, Hammer loses his PI ticket. The DA couldn't be more
pleased.

I just finished this one myself and I have to say that it was better than the previous two, In fact, I thought I, the Jury was pure shit, but the character of Hammer propelled me to the next one, My Gun is Quick, which was a hell of a lot better.

Right now I'm reading my first McGivern novel, The Big Heat, which to my surprise, is set in Philadelphia. I'd never read anything outside of Goodis set in Philly. Since I lived ten years there I know the lay of the land, so I can follow Bannion in my head as he drives all over the city.

Jeff V