Re: RARA-AVIS: VENGEANCE IS MINE

From: James R. Winter ( winter_writes@earthlink.net)
Date: 01 Dec 2004

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques Debierue"
<matrxtech@y...> wrote:

>Specifically,
> what makes you think that people were particularly angry in the
> fifties, as opposed to other decades?

In America... and let me make sure I'm clear on that. I can't speak to Canada or Europe at the time... the fear of Communism, and with that, the spectre of nuclear war was so pervasive that conformism was the order of the day here. With paranoia and hysteria comes anger, much like you see here these days. (Yes, we are a pissed off people at the moment.) Anything that didn't fit the OZZIE AND HARRIETT, grey-flannel suit, duck-and-cover mold in this country was regarded with fear and suspicion, which makes for an angry populace.

That's not to say there wasn't any joy here in the fifties, just as you can't say there isn't any here now. It was also when rock and roll was born, humans started seriously contemplating going into space, and the country was insanely prosperous. But fear and suspicion make for angry times, and we had that in spades in the fifties. I don't know how much more specific I can get than that.

Jim Winter