Re: RARA-AVIS: Flitcraft and Auster

From: Ekkehard Knö²¥² ( knoerer@gmx.net)
Date: 25 Nov 2004

I happen to be reading Paul Auster's latest novel "Oracle Night" - and just wanted to mentioned a funny Flitcraft coincidence. The story within the story that is told by the narrator is explicitly built on Hammett's
"Flitcraft Episode". "Oracle Night" is - at least as far as I have read now - not hardboiled nor noir nor genre literature at all (although, of course, there is a connection between hardboiled and Auster in the hardboiled detective novel "Squeeze Play" Auster wrote as Paul Benjamin). It's an hommage still, and the book seems worth reading.

Ekkehard Knoerer

Editor Crime Corner Magazin www.crime-corner.de