Re: RARA-AVIS: Former Spies as Spy Writers (was Briarpatch)

From: jimdohertyjr ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Nov 2004

Bill,

Re your question below:

> Were there any other of our
> kind of writers who were involved with spying?

Besides those you and others have mentioned:

William F. Buckley, Jr., author of the Blackford Oakes spy thrillers, was in the CIA briefly during the '50's, stationed in Mexico. He also spent the last few months of WW2 doing some kind of military intelligence work.

John Le Carre, prior to writing his George Smiley novels, was employed by the British Foreign Office and reportedly was, at least marginally, involved in cloak and dagger stuff.

Charles McCarry, author of the Paul Christopher spy thrillers, was a CIA agent from 1958 to 1967.

David Hagberg, who writes spy novels under both his own name and as Sean Flannery, did his stint of Cold War military duty as a cryptographer for US Air Force Intelligence. Before hitting it relatively big with his Clancy-like techno-thrillers, he broke into fiction, like our own Bill Crider, by writing Nick Carter PBO's.

I believe that David Weber, who also mines the Tom Clancy fields, was also some kind of military intelligence professional, but I'd have to check that.

Ted Allbeury was an officer in British Army Intelligence during WW2.

So was Clive Egleton.

I've heard that Gayle Lynds (Mrs. Michael Collins) has also worked in some capacity for US Intelligence, but, again, I'm not absolutely sure of that. Like Bill and Hagberg, Mrs. Lynds first spy novels were Nick Carter PBO's. In addition to her own stuff, she's recently been "completing" Robert Ludlum novels.

During a three-year stint as a special agent in the FBI's Chicago Field Office, Gordon Gordon (half of "the Gordons") specialized in counter-intelligence work.

Graham Ison, who I had the pleasure of meeting at the Dagger ceremony last week, was a Detective Chief Superintendant in the Special Branch, Scotland Yard's domestic counter-espionage unit.

That's off the top of my head.

JIM DOHERTY

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM