RARA-AVIS: Pulp Culture and paranoia

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@postikaista.net)
Date: 09 Nov 2004

Woody Haut:

"On the larger point, I stand by the main points in both Pulp Culture and Neon Noir- the Cold War and the Vietnam War were major factors in producing the conditions that produced the literature. (---) Though you might disagree or find fault with the details presented in any or all of my books, I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that noir/hardboiled fiction is not produced in isolation, but is dependent on various historical and cultural factors."

I'm absolutely with you and even though I did find faults in your books (more in "Pulp Culture" than in "Neon Noir"), I tend to agree with you and have been using your books as a source in my own writings and studies. Especially your analysis of Lionel White strikes me as pretty accurate, even though it could be the case that White himself wouldn't think the same.

And you are not alone - just check "Noir America" by Dave Cochran and you find pretty much the same conclusions about the Cold War paranoia and the societal consensus behind which the conflicts are. (Cochran's point of view is larger, though, than in your book - he discusses TV shows, such as Twilight Zone, and B movies, such as Roger Corman's "The Intruder". (They have something in common - Charles Beaumont as a writer.))

Nice to hear from you, Woody!

Juri