Re: RARA-AVIS: "The Killing of the Tinkers" by Ken Bruen

From: tootsbinswanger ( donna.moore@virgin.net)
Date: 07 Nov 2004

and Al wrote:

> whatever their relationships with their immediate superiors,
Brant, like
> Mackie, is the focus of all the stories. And Brant, like Mackie,
is a benign
> thug, capable of doing what it takes, whatever the cost. Bottom
line,
> there's corruption aplenty in both these intense, punchy, dark-
themed,
> morally grey police procedurals where sometimes nobody wins.

And sometimes the good guys are actually the bad guys :o) I agree with the similarities, and Brant and Mackie both have a similarly warped sense of humour. I think both of them would be a lot of fun down the pub, but I wouldn't like to get on either of their bad sides and I wouldn't trust them as far as they could throw them. Brant is more delightfully disgusting and un-PC than Mackie, but on the other hand Mackie is fitter :o).

And I third Brian's suggestion for Ken Bruen to be a guest author.

As for Killing of The Tinkers which Brian mentioned - it's a wonderful book and a great entry in the Jack Taylor series which just gets better and better. The most recent - The Dramatist - is absolutely unforgettable, and one of the best books I've ever read.

Cheers,

Donna