RARA-AVIS: Best Since 2000/London Bookstores

From: T. Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 06 Nov 2004

I just finished Jason Starr's Fake I.D. the other night and would add it to the list. Next on my TBR list is Jason's Nothing Personal. I also want to agree with those who mentioned Ken Bruen's The Guards and The Killing of the Tinkers and David Peace's Quartet even though the first book, 1974, was published in 1999. Candleland by Martyn Waites also deserves consideration. The Cutting Room by Louise Welsh is the best book I have read this year, but despite its darkness, I'm not sure if the hardboiled/noir experts on this list would agree it belongs here. Any comments?

Someone suggested a visit to the Murder One bookstore for our list member (Jim?) who is off to London for an awards event. While I agree that it's worth a visit and you can find books published in the US that you probably won't see in US stores, often you can't find UK books. And prices are high except on a large table towards the back of the store where many US hardcovers have been discounted. On my last visit, I only bought one UK paperback by Ron Ellis.

Anyone looking for UK-published books a few years old should check out the Bookends store down the street from Murder One on Charing Cross Rd. There also are Bookends stores in several large cities and in Hay-on-Wye, the booktown on the England/Wales border. It was Bookends where I found the Jason Starr and David Peace books plus UK reprints of Charles Willeford a couple of years ago. When I was in Bookends on Charing Cross Rd. in August, the TPBs were priced at two for four or five lbs. Sometimes you can get them for 99p.

Kent Morgan

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM