Re: RARA-AVIS: Bruen

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 04 Nov 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Neddal Ayad" < nayad@mun.ca>

> Dave,
> Thanks for the info. Bruen is now on my "to check out" list. (Along
> with stuff by a bunch of my fellow rara-avians - there should be a
> RA book club or something...)

With my book finished and off to the publisher for what promises to be a veritable feast of hacking and slashing, I finally have some spare time to start wading through the books I picked up by authors I was lucky enough to meet at Bouchercon. I started with Ken Bruen's "The Killing of the Tinkers." I'm fifty pages into it, and I can't put it down. What a terrific piece of writing. What a solid grasp on the narrative! And descriptions of things like drug addiction, severed appendages, and the mordancy inherent in certain types of personal relationships that don't repel so much as they explain the appeal, our "morbid fascination with same," if you will.

Doe my money, Bruen's a great investment. What's more, he's a wonderful fellow; approachable, interesting and interested in the people around him. Ken Bruen exemplifies for me what is best writers of any genre, in any age.

Perhaps we could entice him into being our guest author one of these months
(assuming that hasn't already been done, of course)? I think the Rare Birds would be the richer for the experience.

All the Best-

Brian Thornton