Re: RARA-AVIS: Best books since 2000?

From: Jim Roberts ( jim_l_roberts@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Nov 2004

I am impressed with the *Hard* series by Dan Simmons. *Hardcase*, *Hard Freeze* and most recently *Hard As Nails* (which is excellent). Woodrell is a master; if you liked *Mister* try his *Tomato Red* or *Woe to Live On* (make into the film "Ride with the Devil')

Ray Banks < raybanks77@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Duane Spurlock <duane1spur@y...> wrote:

> So I go with his more recent novel, THE GUARDS.

I second that emotion - Bruen's one of a kind.

Other books - THE DEATH OF SWEET MISTER by Daniel Woodrell is essential for anyone with noir tastes. CYPRESS GROVE by James Sallis is another strong contender. And as for a resurgence in noir, I would point you to anything by Jason Starr (most notably his recent TWISTED CITY) and for anything on this side of the pond, I think Al Guthrie's doing splendid work (TWO WAY SPLIT was a much-needed shot in the arm for British crime fiction) and Charlie William's debut DEADFOLK, which is certainly one of the best noir books I've read this year.