Re: RARA-AVIS: Best books since 2000?

From: Ray Banks ( raybanks77@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 03 Nov 2004

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Duane Spurlock <duane1spur@y...> wrote:

> So I go with his more recent novel, THE GUARDS.

I second that emotion - Bruen's one of a kind.

Other books - THE DEATH OF SWEET MISTER by Daniel Woodrell is essential for anyone with noir tastes. CYPRESS GROVE by James Sallis is another strong contender. And as for a resurgence in noir, I would point you to anything by Jason Starr (most notably his recent TWISTED CITY) and for anything on this side of the pond, I think Al Guthrie's doing splendid work (TWO WAY SPLIT was a much-needed shot in the arm for British crime fiction) and Charlie William's debut DEADFOLK, which is certainly one of the best noir books I've read this year.

Oh yeah, and THE BIG BLIND. Yeah, okay, right...

Ray B