RARA-AVIS: That's it - I'm re-learning French!

From: David Wright ( dwright333@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Nov 2004

    No, no no - this is not an election day screed. I just returned from Paris, and friends, there are so many great American crime writers currently available in French translation that are difficult or impossible to find in English. Not to mention great French noir writers that have never been translated. Had lots of fun in bookshops, including "L'Amour du Noir," a little shop entirely devoted to Serie Noire. (11, rue du Cardinal Lemoine, 75005 Paris)

     So I picked up some ultra-cheap French omnibus editions of old Edgar Wallace and some French writers, and will be brushing up my French with gats and molls and rotgut. As for the election, there are currently over 30,000 ex-pat Americans in Paris, and I suspect the number will swell...

     David Wright

===== David Wright - Seattle Public Library Fiction Dept.

"Literature is a luxury; fiction is a necessity."
                 -G.K. Chesterton