RARA-AVIS: two knockouts

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 01 Nov 2004

>From AA Fair's (Gardner) Top of the Heap:

Something hit me on the side of the head. A wave of blackness came up from my stomach. The bitter of nausea was in my mouth and my knees went limp.

I tried to hang onto the dooknob, turning aroun, jerking my head back as I did so.

I had a glimpse of Bill, his arm upraised, a blackjack looped around his wrist. There was no expression on his face. He even looked slightly bored.

Then the arm chopped down.

There was a blinding flash inside my brain and the floor smacked my face.

That was the end of Chapter Sixteen (aren't they always at the end of a chapter?), page 187 in the Hard Case Crime edition. This is the beginning of Chapter Seventeen (and the next page):

I had no idea what time it was when I regained consciousness. I was sprawled on a bed in a cheap, dingy bedroom equipped with an iron bedstead, a chair, a dresser, a washstand, and a wardrobe closet. . . .

I moved my head and the room stated rocking around as though it were a cabin on a boat in a heavy sea.

I felt sick. . . .

It was a smelling salt that did a great deal to revive me. . . .

Gradually the throbbing left my head. The room steadied down and my head settled into a dull, constant ache with a sore spot above and back of my right ear that felt like a boil.

Richard Aleas is far more succinct about the knockout at the end of Chapter 19 (page 138) in Little Girl Lost:

I pieced this all together later. At the time, I only knew that there was someone behind me when Lenz smiled, a look of relief blossomed on his face, and something heavy smashed into the back of my head.

However, he goes into far greater detail, several paragraphs, about the physical aftermath in Chapter 20. It's more than I feel like typing right now, but it involves a pulpy area on the back of his head where he was hit and an urge to vomit. The consequences of this and other beatings also linger with him much longer than in book of Fair's time.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM