RARA-AVIS: RE: Westlake's Grofield

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 27 Oct 2004

Doug mentioning Westlake's Grofield series reminded me of one of the author's cleverest ideas. Two novels under his Stark pseudonym have nearly the same opening paragraphs, a description of an armored car robbery gone sour, with the getaway car overturned and on fire. In "Slayground," Parker escapes into a nearby amusement park closed for the winter. In "The Black Bird," Grofield, one of Parker's crew, is rescued from the burning vehicle by mysterious secret agents who force him into an international caper. Westlake has come up with an assortment of tricks and twists over the years
-- like reusing the basic setup for the deadly serious Parker novel "The Black Ice Score" in concocting the whimsical "The Hot Rock." But the shared starting point of "Slayground" and "The Black Bird" remains my favorite.

Dick Lochte

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM