Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent purchases

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Oct 2004

--- William Denton < buff@pobox.com> wrote:

> Some of the colleges at the University of Toronto
> have book sales in the
> fall, and I got some good stuff this year:
>
> Edward S. Aarons: ASSIGNMENT--BLACK VIKING;
> ASSIGNMENT--HELENE;
> ASSIGNMENT--SUICIDE; ASSIGNMENT--ZORAYA;
> ASSIGNMENT--NUCLEAR NUDE. I
> don't even really like this series, but at a buck
> each, I grabbed them
> all.

I'm a big fan and booster of this series. I've read HELENE and SUICIDE from your pile and remember liking them a lot. They are what they are -- pulp spy adventure fiction -- they're just a good version of it.

> John D. MacDonald: THE DREADFUL LEMON SKY

I think this is one of the strongest of the series.

Right now I'm rereading a couple of Westlake's
"Grofield" novels he wrote under the Stark name: THE DAMSEL and LEMONS NEVER LIE. There were only four books of these, but I think they're the best thing he's done.

The Parker novels seem to me good but facile, more an experiment in technique than something deeply felt. The same, in other ways, could be said about the Dortmunder books. In fact -- and I well know this is a minority opinion -- I think this is the abiding sin of Westlake more generally: I've read a lot of his stuff over the years, liked some, didn't like others, but almost all of it felt very slick to me, smoothly done but not much more than that.

With these Grofield novel, though, Westlake managed to split the difference between Parker and Dortmunder,
 and they really seem "alive" to me in ways that the others don't IMHO. It's hard to put into words, but there's a warmth here I don't often find in Westlake's work.

Highly recommended if you can find them.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM