Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Humor and irony in noir

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2004

Etienne wrote <snipped>:

I'm personally convinced that Chandler is noir and did noir in part of his writing, but he did not know it.... His noir is of course heavily loaded with hard-boiled attitude.

Do you consider "Pop. 1280" as a farce?

*********** The belief that Chandler is noir is strongly held, so you don't need to be shy about it. I've got a book by William Marling (I think he might have been a rara-avis member in the past) called AMERICAN NOIR: HAMMETT, CAIN, AND CHANDLER.

I haven't read POP. 1280, so I can't weigh in on it as farce, but all genres are open to farce. In the noir category, Vian's I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE and Hallas's YOU PLAY THE BLACK AND THE RED COMES UP have been suggested as parodies or farces.

Oh. I hope I got your first name spelled right. I didn't see it spelled out in the post.

miker